<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Auf Weidersen

Quieter day today. Went with Merk to Wetherspoons for some fodder and liquid revitilisation. As we were tucking in a train come in, no worries but that meant we had two hours to kill before the Merkster had to go home. He seemed a bit down, so we went back to the pier, and yes, I won him a Winnie the Pooh this time. He was no more enthusiastic than yesterday. At least this one stayed on dry land. We sauntered back to the train station, where Merk ascended back to life and work. The relaxing part of my holiday now began. I milled around a bit, watching people alight from the train into arms of mothers and lovers. I wondered off, back to my room.

I'll tell you a little about the room, it's a twin room so there's a redundant bed. My bed is next to the window, which overlooks the back of the seafront b&bs and the newish Kings Hall building, home to some appartments and shops and a nice carvery. This is what I can smell. With my window open wide, everything I do is to the accompanying odour of roast beef and lamb, and as these rooms are above a launderette I can occassionally whiff the homely smell of washing powder and tumble dryers. Heaven. In the gap between the Kings Hall and the seafront houses I can see a small part of Marine Terrace, the main seafront promenade at the North end of town. I can see part of the sea, which is currently calm as it has been all week, it is greyer than earlier in the week though. All along Marine Terrace there are flags representing the small countries of Europe such as Catalunya, Brittany, Cornwall and the like. Anyway, I can just about see one fluttering from my room, and I'm trying to work out which one it is from here. I've not managed it yet.

I watched a couple of films (Belleville Rendez-vous and the haunting Picnic at Hanging Rock) before getting a sandwich and four cans of Brains SA and retired to watch the comedy football from Belfast. I couldn't help finding the smug commentators humbled funny. I watched Twin Town and went to bed.

Stav.

Comments: Post a Comment